Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

30 for 30 Outfit Challenge - The BackGround

The 30 days of preparing for Elul posts is interrupted by a new challenge....

I am inspired by posts of lovely ladies using 15-30 items in their wardrobe, some including shoes and accessories, and building up a month worth of outfits, never wearing the same one twice.  As a stay at home mom and a Jewish woman who chooses to dress modestly, I end up wearing mostly t-shirts with shells underneath, a simple skirt and a hair covering.  Very little thought goes into any my outfits.

The truth is, most of the time I feel frumpy.  Every Shabbat I go through this crazy process of trying on a bunch of things in my closet and end up unhappy with the way I look.

I lack vision.  My best friend has it.  She can walk through a store, pick out a few things and put together an amazing set of outfits.  I want this vision.

I always made excuses basically repeating, I lack vision and creativity.  This (Jewish) year, that will hopefully change.

I need practice, and what better way to practice than to do a 30 for 30 outfits challenge.  (Wow, this will be the second 30 day adventure, I wonder what else I will do??).

I have gone through my closet and surfed Pinterest Pins that made use of similar pieces.  Feel free to check out my Building my Wardrobe board.  I am also adding some other inspiring outfits for future purchases.

Since I'm not meaning for my blog to become a fashion blog (Oh G-d, for whoever thinks THAT is a good idea!!) I will likely only post a week's worth of outfits at a time.

My goal during the challenge is to not wear  any outfit twice (which means I guess I better do a good job keeping track).  Since I am rebuilding my wardrobe, I can't promise I won't buy anything new (but it won't get used during the challenge).  There are a few things I would like to get, like black boots, brown boots, and I need accessories of various kinds.  Value Village is awesome (and cheap) and Ardene has a ton of accessories for super cheap.

My goals for taking on this challenge is to learn to jazz up my wardrobe and figure out my personal style (do I have any??).  I have been practicing wearing long lost items in my closet.  Some items were hand me downs (free is good), some items I bought because hey, it looked cool in the store.  I have learned that,  as much as I like orange, it may not be a good colour for me.  I am liking the use of belts on outfits, something I never thought I would ever do.

Since the weather is still warm, it is a bit challenging for me to pick the right 30 items, but I am practicing with a few pieces in my closet.  (Which is why I am aiming for the official start date to be September 1).

My 30 items will include shells, even though they  are a basic requirement as pretty much everything in stores doesn't cover what needs to be covered (elbows and collar bones).  You will notice that my bottoms are only skirts, which is part of the modest "uniform" (I will say I have chosen, as there are many observant women who wear pants and still dress modestly).


I just bought this super cute dress for the High Holidays.  I guess it's something like an a-line shape.  I LOVED it in the store and convinced myself to splurge.  When I put it on today, definitely had the "what was I thinking"moment.  I didn't feel comfortable in it.  I'm not sure if it's the wrong size, or the shape of the dress or the fact that it can't be belted.  Sadly, it's going to get returned.  Bonus, I will use the money to buy something else!  

September is filled with Jewish holidays and Shabbat days, which means 10 days of synagogue worthy outfits.  It will be a challenge to pick items (that I currently own) that can go casual or business formal.  



If you are looking for some inspiration, these ladies are the ones who inspired me:

There you have it, a bit of background on my sad wardrobe.  I have 12 more days to pick my 30 items, and acquire some missing elements.

image from http://www.tanvii.com/2010/11/my-picks-30-for-30.html#.UhQYfDnYkUV



No comments:

Post a Comment