Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

It's Monday, let's talk: Modest Fashion

I'd like to start a "It's Monday, let's talk..." series.  We can share insights on different issues, parental, spiritual, fashion...whatever I think of.  If you have a suggestion, please let me know!

For the first one, I decided on Modest Fashion (as you might have guessed).

The laws of Tsniut (Modesty) extends beyond dress, and applies to behaviour and certain activities (such as a man cannot be alone with a woman who is not his wife, or there must be a divider between the men and women in a Synagogue).  (As well as other things, but these are just examples). 

I would like to chat about modest dress.  I only know from what I learn from my Rebbetzin (Rabbi's wife), so I won't quote specific references online.

The basics:

  • Tops should cover collar bones
  • Sleeves should cover elbows
  • Skirts should cover knees, even while seated
  • Hair is covered (up to a fistful can be showing, and I know there is discussion as to what that means, but I won't get into that.  I don't look good in bangs so I'm not worried about that too much).  
Some people wear longer sleeves, long skirts, wear tights all the time...

Why have I started to do any of this?...It felt right?  I guess it is just some irrational reason I cannot fully explain.  When I started to learn and I wanted to take on more Mitzvot, dressing modestly just seemed like the right thing to do.  

I admit, I have a hard time finding skirts that are the appropriate length, so many of my skirts may cover my knees, barely, and definitely don't while I'm seated.  I am short, so I don't really like very long skirts, I end up looking like I wear a blanket.  (I'm not a petite short build).  I'm sure some people might consider that an excuse.  I want to feel good in my clothes and I won't enjoy or appreciate the Mitzvah (Commandment or Good Deed) of dressing modesty if I feel bleh every time I get dressed.  

For the summer I find it challenging to find tops that cover what they should cover and I end up relying on shells under T-shirts, and I'm starting to get tired of that look.  Not to mention how very hot I feel wearing layers on the hottest days of summer.   

I started covering my hair full time since May.  I like covering my hair.  I admit in part, it's because I hate my hair.  I don't think my hair ever recovered from my pregnancy and it is always up in in a pony tail anyway.  I have found that matching scarves to outfits a bit difficult but I am slowly figuring it out.  

I have been working on rebuilding my wardrobe and dressing more fashionably, yet modest.  I have been learning since I am quite fashion-challenged.  You can check out my Pinterest Board and see that there are ideas out there.  

Do you dress modestly?  Why?  What rules have you chosen to follow?  Where do you find clothes?  

Let's talk!









No comments:

Post a Comment